House of Hugs Productions

Julia Radochia's blog for her films, film festivals, and film in general, among other things...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Arlington, Massachusetts, United States

Friday, January 10, 2014

Two Festival Acceptances...

...and only one of them is for Little Pen Lost, which was accepted to the Flathead Lake International Cinemafest in Polson, MT and will screen on Sunday, January 26th at the 12:30pm screening.  I'm happy about any festival acceptance but I'm always a little extra excited when it's to a festival to which I have had absolutely no connection whatsoever, meaning I know they didn't feel any particular tug to include the film because they've screened another film of mine, or I'm a local, etc.

I'm actually not submitting Little Pen Lost to many more festivals, because of the money and time it involves.  I'd rather put my energy into my writing, or even possibly filming another short, than exhaust myself in pushing a film that was just a little exercise to reactivate my dormant filmmaking muscles.  I feel a little weird saying this as someone may take it as demeaning to the talent involved.  I have nothing but respect for my talented cast and crew -- thanks to them the film is getting in festivals.  But I do think that this piece serves better as a showcase for the actors than as a film itself.  It's really more of a filmed skit than a film.  I think it's cute and entertaining, otherwise I wouldn't send it anywhere at all.  I wouldn't plan to put it online if I didn't think it was good.  But I feel if I were to push it much more would be like dwelling on the past.  And that's why I'm more excited about the other festival acceptance...

...which is for my short (30 page) screenplay, Susan and the Company Picnic.  It is an official selection of the Houston Comedy Film Festival, which takes place on January 30th and 31st in Houston, TX.


The original script was a finalist in the 2011 Broad Humor Film Festival but I made changes since then and thought I might as well send it in to another screenplay competition.  I was really happy to have Susan be one of six nominated short screenplays (out of 44) and in a way it's more exciting for me because it points towards the future, making me think this screenplay is truly worthy of being filmed.  We're not in a place to do it yet, but it's nice to have something to make you look forward.

So thank you, Flathead Lake International Cinemafest and Houston Comedy Film Festival.  I'm honored that you selected my work (well, I mean "our work" when it comes to Little Pen Lost).


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Little Pen Post
  • I Just Want to Eat My Sandwich
  • Happy at Home
  • Go Faux
  • Eddie's Winning Date
  • Sally's Dream House
  • Jimmy's House of Hugs
  • Like His Father
  • House of Hugs Videos
  • All Videos
  • Making the Films
  • My You Tube page
  • My Films on Ourfilmspace
  • My Vimeo page

  • House of Hugs Prods Main Site
  • House of Hugs Facebook page
  • Suitcase Poets My Space Site
  • My IMDB Page
  • Jeremy Ward's blog
  • Stephen Radochia
  • Arlington Studio
  • Back Lot Films, Inc.
  • Cara Downs' Blog
  • Lunchbox Films Blog
  • RLviddy YouTube page
  • Tinkham Town Productions
  • >